Your safety is our only way
Alkion operates in a complex industrial environment where safety is everything. At all times it is imperative that products are handled and stored in line with all relevant rules and regulations. That’s why, since our formation in 2016, we have deployed a responsible and sustainable business strategy based on long-term risk mitigation. This approach is defined as Safety, Security, Health, Environment, Compliance and Quality (SSHECQ).
Alkion is also subject to the SEVESO guidelines and operates under a License to Operate granted by the authorities. We therefore hire experienced suppliers and contractors who accept and adhere to our safety procedures. Supplier activities are monitored on a regular basis to ensure that their operational checks, management systems and safety performance complies with Alkion Terminals criteria. Quality management is embedded in the operational procedures and a code of conduct is in place.
We will continue to invest in all appropriate safety equipment and expertise as part of our commitment to optimizing the safety of everyone who works at, or with, our terminals.
For everyone’s future
Alkion is in business for the long-term and our lasting success depends on the choices we make today for the well-being of the planet and its people tomorrow. We have an obligation to the communities in which we operate, and we conduct all our operations responsibly.
By caring for People, Planet & Profit we believe that we contribute to the creation of prosperity, durability and well-being for our business partners in the public and private sectors, the communities in which we operate, and investors.
Our sustainability strategy is based on three pillars:
- Foster wellness in terms of the health, safety and well-being of everybody on and around our premises
- Empower people through recognition, delegating authority, and developing skills and leadership talent
- Reduce adverse climate impact from two angles:
- Inwardly, through resource efficient operations with lower emissions
- Outwardly, by facilitating storage solutions for renewable energy and circular resources
In terms of tangible climate actions this means a permanent focus on managing and reducing our ecological footprint (air, water, soil, wastes). We are also pursuing the efficient use of energy and taking meaningful steps, such as the installation of solar panels to reduce our carbon footprint.
Our first ESG Report
We are happy to present our first Sustainability Report. The Report reflects many years of commitment to a wide range of ESG issues, with a comprehensive focus on the company’s 3 Sustainability Pillars. Highly readable and attractively designed, the Report marks an important point in Alkion’s journey by consolidating and celebrating all the ESG progress made up to the end of 2021, while signposting further steps towards improvement in so many areas.
Alkion Corporate Social Responsibility Policy
Alkion strives to deliver the highest standards of customer service and operations in a responsible manner. All our activities are guided by a commitment to ethics and integrity, with the intention of positively impacting society and minimizing our impact on the environment.
At the heart of our CSR approach is a sound SSHECQ policy that stresses the accountability of every employee while guarding against complacency. Within this context we recognize the need to foster a motivated, entrepreneurial and well-trained workforce that internalizes our company values and adheres to our continuous improvement process. This will, in turn, enhance Alkion’s reputation as a responsible actor that makes a positive and pro-active contribution to the communicates and societies that we are proud to be a part of.
Objective and progress
In 2019, which is our baseline year, we emitted 11,354 tons of CO2. Scope 1 emissions accounted for 8,272 tons of CO2 (73%), Scope 2 emissions for 2,917 tons of CO2 (26%), and Scope 3 emissions (business travel) for 164 tons of CO2.
Our Scope 1 emissions are mainly driven by the consumption of natural gas, which is used to store products that require heating. Our Scope 2 emissions are indirect emissions generated by purchased electricity (about 14% of the total). We use electricity to handle products at the terminal, for example for pumps, valves, vapor treatment units, and other equipment. The second biggest source of Scope 2 emissions (about 13% of the total) is driven by purchased steam, which is used to heat our tanks in Le Havre.
By 2025 we aim to emit 20% less CO2 than in 2019. In 2022 we achieved a 15.4% reduction in CO2 emissions compared to 2019.
In 2021, we emitted 9,753 tons of CO2, reducing our emissions by 14% in comparison to the 2019 baseline year. In 2022, we made further progress and reduced our CO2 emissions to 9,602 tons. This means that we achieved a 15.4% reduction in emissions compared to our baseline year of 2019 and are therefore gradually progressing toward our emissions reduction target of 20% by 2025. The decrease in 2021 and further progress in 2022 are mainly driven by:
How we reduce CO2 Emissions
We have put various CO2 reduction measures in place. Each terminal has a detailed implementation plan and timeline in place based on the local agenda and priorities.
Reducing Scope 1 Emissions
- Reassess the most efficient and sustainable heating option (electricity sources, neighboring plants)
- Improve the insulation of tanks and pipelines
- Assess the impact of replacing boilers or burners with more efficient versions
- Switch from gas boilers to more sustainable and efficient options, such as propane
- Replace part of the natural gas consumption with biogas
- Install charging stations for hybrid and electric cars at the terminals, including stations powered by solar energy
- Revise the corporate policy for leasing more efficient cars by introducing a limit for the maximum amount of CO2 emissions per km driven
- Focus on leasing/renting hybrid and electric cars
- Promote the leasing of e-bikes
Our emissions in 2022 are equivalent to:
Alkion Terminals is affiliated to Nederland CO2 Neutraal and Talks Energie Transition, a working group within ORAM, the largest business network in the Amsterdam Metropolitan Area. The Italian branch of Alkion participates in Unem (Unione Energie per la Mobilità), with a working group focusing on the development of lower carbon liquid fuels and e-fuels.
In Spain, our Cartagena terminal has joined the organization Cartagena Puerto Sostenibile (Sustainable Port of Cartagena). This initiative is committed to incorporating the 2030 Sustainable Agenda, based on 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals, into the port’s strategy. This will be pursued through collaboration with multiple entities, including those in the private sector such as Alkion.
These memberships contribute to knowledge and experience sharing and exchange with other companies on sustainability challenges and solutions. This allows Alkion to be an active participant in the world of energy transition.
Reducing Scope 2 Emissions
- Increasing the amount of green electricity and improving energy efficiency
- Preparing a business case and acquiring permits for the installation of solar panels
- Installing and commissioning solar panels
- Looking for energy suppliers that can provide green electricity
- Gradually switching to LED lighting
- Installing pumps with variable speed drive (inverters) and/or automatic pumps for flow regulation
- Smart lighting at night at the terminals/switch off lighting at night where possible
- Guaranteeing green energy consumption with Guarantees of Origin (GOs) in the future after we have further reduced our own energy consumption and improved our solar production capacity
- Inform employees about “sustainable behavior” at the office
- Replace plastic cups with more sustainable alternatives
- Conduct a sustainability workshop/education/quiz for employees
- Place posters promoting sustainability in offices and common areas